Sunday, April 8, 2007

I ate New York.

I've been in NY for a few days now, attending the AAAS conference. The conference was great, and the food I ate was even better.

Thanks to my friends who now consider themselves locals (they're all originally from southern california), I was able to eat some pretty delicious meals.

Here's a quick of restaurants.

- Cendrillon (Filipino Fusion)
- Cafeteria
- Cafe Habana
- Some secret Korean restaurant (details tba)
- Mamoun's
- pomme frittes

It's 2:30 am though, so I will have to write the details tomorrow, so I can sleep and wake up for breakfast.


Blog edited and continued:

Just a few thoughts and comments about all the great food spots I enjoyed in NYC.

On Wednesday, my mentor and friend, Anna took a bunch of us to a Filipino Fusion restaurant called Cendrillon (45 Mercer St). There was a bunch of us, so of course, we ate family style and had a feast of good food! Goat curry, deep fried lumpia (pork egg rolls), grilled sea bass that was coated with a miso base, and seafood paella with black rice. Everything was delicious and affordable. My personal faborite was the grilled sea bass. The outside was flaky and crispy while the middle was tender and just a tad bit raw so the natural flavors were kept perfectly in tact.

However, the highlight of my night was the kalamansi martinis!!!!
Kalamansi is a tiny Filipino citrus fruit that looks more like a mini orange or an orange lime. It's way better than regular limes or lemons. Anyways, the drink was a delicious citrus treat with just the right mixture of tartness and sweetness to go with the vodka.

Moving on to ... Cafeteria. OK yes, i know, going there sounds super cheesy especially since I'm a huge Sex and the City fan, but honestly, the food there is good (although a bit pricy). I do have to mention that I love the pristine white decor of Cafeteria, it's almost institutional in its cleanliness. But there is something very modern and chic about the place. During this particular visit, I had eggs benedict and crab cakes, which were placed on top a bed of garlic spinach. I also ordered a fruit bowl, as I had a sweet tooth but didn't want to feel fat after brunch. Everything tasted great, especially the crab cake spinach combo. But that's really difficult to mess up. The thing that impressed me most was the fruit bowl!! Typically, when one orders fresh fruit, one will receive a bowl of cubed melons, grapes, and if you're lucky a couple of strawberries. However, at Cafeteria, I got sliced bananas, a huge pile of strawberries, and raspberries, and blueberries. YUM!!!!!

My number one favorite restaurant I would have to say is CAFE HABANA!!!!
I loved it so much that I went back twice during my short stay in NYC. What kept me going back was their awesome roasted corn.

To be continued ... I actually have to study.

1 comment: